Sunday 13 November 2016

Gathering Books! (DE4101 - Design Research 1)

Gathering Books! (DE4101 - Design Research 1)

Regular readers of my blog (if such a thing exists?) will have noticed that its been a bit quiet - thats because I have been busy gathering research material for a piece of work for one of my modules; DE4101, also known as Design Research 1. The piece of work is a Literature & Contextual review and it is due to be submitted on December 9th.

Basically, I have to gather a load pieces of research material on a topic within the field of games design, and write a critical analysis of this material and the ideas they present. I have to gather 10 books, 10 web articles, 10 journal/magazine articles and 10 "contextual" pieces (anything besides a written piece) that contains useful information on my chosen area of focus. I then have to narrow the written pieces down from 30 to 5 and write a review on them. For the contextual review, I have to narrow it down from 10 to 5. I have chosen to research into 3D environment art and the methods used by environment artists to make atmospheric/engaging/realistic 3D environments.

I won't go into too much detail as it won't be terribly exciting to read about, but so far I have gathered all my books and the research is well under way. I got more than 10 books that included things such as game design books, game art books and some film/TV and stage set design books.

My next step is to find the 10 web articles and 10 journal/magazine articles, then I will decide which 5 I want to focus on for the write-up. Here's a list of the main books;



The art of Halo: creating a virtual masterpiece
By Trautmann, Eric S, 2004

Film: a critical introduction
By Pramaggiore, Maria, 2011

Game level design
By Byrne, Ed, 2005

Scene design and stage lighting
By Parker, W. Oren, 2009

Building interactive worlds in 3D: virtual sets and pre-visualization for games, film, and the Web
By Gauthier, Jean-Marc, 2005

Creating emotion in games: the craft and art of emotioneering
By Freeman, David, 2004

Game design for teens
By Pardew, Les, 2004

Challenges for game designers
By Brathwaite, Brenda, 2009

Game development essentials: game level design
By Castillo, Travis, 2008

Game Design Complete
Book by Patrick O'Luanaigh, 2006

Designing virtual worlds
By Bartle, Richard, 1960, 2004

Level up!: the guide to great video game design
By Rogers, Scott, 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment