Thursday 11 May 2017

"Meet MAT: The 2017 Substance 3D painting contest"

This week, I have entered a Substance Painter 3D painting contest held by Allegorithmic. The contest involved creating a material for Allegorithmic's new mascot, MAT:


"For this contest the task is simple: nothing to model, no UV to unwrap – MAT is already fully modeled and is waiting to come to life with your brushstrokes! Just take your (digital) paintbrush, download the MAT model and start doodling away. "

I decided to enter the contest to put my Substance Painter skills to the test and also to develop my skills further. Having submitted my practical work last Friday, I was looking for something to do before getting started on next semester's work, so the contest came along at just the right time! I realised that there was a lot of people entering and talking about the contest online, so I figured it was an opportunity to get my art out there in the public eye.
Here's the untextured model provided by Allegorithmic:


I took one look at the model and thought that it looked a lot like a speaker, so I decided to base my entry on the iconic Marshall amplifier. My entry took about 10 hours to make. While taking part in this contest, I created accounts on Artstation and Sketchfab - this is something I had been meaning to do for a while and will help me to get my artwork out there in the future.

Here's my finished entry!






and here is the Sketchfab model (my first ever!)

No comments:

Post a Comment