Friday 28 April 2017

Stone Circle Level Progress - 28th April

There's now just 1 week left until the submission date for my 2nd practical module of my MA, and I think my stone circle environment is really starting to come together. I've been working on the level consistently since the start of the semester and I'm now putting in the finishing touches. All that is really left to do is the audio, which I have already started working on, the presentation video and screenshots and some last-minute tinkering with lighting and post-processing effects. By working consistently on the environment, I've made sure that I don't have to rush to finish it and I have left myself with what Bethesda senior artist Joel Burgess calls "opportunity time" - spare time at the end of a level design cycle that can be used to try and add even more polish and quality features.

Here's a list of what has changed since my last screenshots of the environment:


  • Finished modelling and texturing the three sacred trees and the stone circle itself (click here to see a post about these assets).
  • Added rain to my level. I pretty much created the rain as an experiment by creating a custom particle system, but I really liked the look of it and I think it totally changes up the environment and elevates the atmosphere.
  • Developed the tree groves further, e.g adding torches and more foliage to the Hawthorn area.
  • Created the Ash grove.
  • Added more foliage types: a fern and a flower model with 4 different colour variations. This adds more variety and colour to the scene.
  • Added more particle effects to the scene including mist and glowing dust.
  • Worked on optimising the scene by things such as lowering light map resolution for small foliage actors, setting cull/draw distances, optimising particle systems etc.










No comments:

Post a Comment