Friday 14 October 2016

Talk and book signing with Michael Foreman


As part of my research into Anderson shelters for my current environment art project, I decided to attend a talk and book signing by Michael Foreman, a successful author and illustrator, on Wednesday night at the Harris Museum in Preston. I first became aware of the event when I saw a poster in the Harris library (see above) while searching for books on the Battle of Britain and the Blitz. 

"Michael Foreman (born 21 March 1938) is a British author and Illustrator, one of the best-known and most prolific creators of children's booksHe was born and grew up in Pakefield, near Lowestoft, SuffolkAt the age of three, the family home was hit by an enemy bomb, but he survived along with his mother and two older brothers."
- Wikipedia on Michael Foreman

I was specifically interested in hearing about Michael's wartime childhood as I figured it would be relevant to my research for my project and I planned to buy a copy of his book "War Boy" which is about his life during the war and, if possible, ask him some questions. The talk was very interesting and informative, Michael talked about his childhood in the war, his travels around the world, books that he had written and authors with whom he has worked.


After the talk, I bought a copy of "War Boy" and had it signed! I also had a chance to directly ask Michael some questions to help inform my project and really capture the atmosphere of a WW2 bomb shelter.

I asked what memory stands out the most about being in a shelter and he told me that the shelters he remembers most clearly are the ones that were at his school. Teachers would try to distract the children by having them sing while air raids occurred. Michael said that it was quite exciting and thrilling and that the kids didn't understand how serious the situation really was. He said that the war and the regular danger of bombing was normal to kids at the time because it was all they had ever known, and they thought that life would always be the way that it was. During the talk, he described how kids would make models of tanks and spitfires from clay. I think that I will include a home-made toy in my Anderson shelter scene in an attempt to portray the childhood wonder of the war.

The book itself is great and also very informative and helpful for my research and theres even some illustrations of Anderson shelters in it. Hearing and seeing individual people's memories is inspiring me to include personal touches and items in my scene. Here's some pictures!






No comments:

Post a Comment