Monday 13 March 2017

Stone Circle Scene Progress - March 13th

Its been a couple of weeks since I last posted about my Stone Circle 3D scene. I've made a fair bit of progress in the last couple of weeks and have been working pretty hard - I've been in the games studio every day Monday to Friday for the past two weeks, a habit that I intend to try and keep. Much of this time was invested into making an academic poster for my Design Research 2 module (which I will make a post about soon), but I've been working on my practical stuff too. Here's a breakdown of whats changed since my last post:
  • I've created a cliff-face model that is encircling the playable area and acting as a level boundary, which helps to box the scene in and also contributes to the atmosphere.
  • I've created a rock model that I've used throughout the scene as an instanced foliage actor. The rocks vary in size from small stones to big boulders to provide variety without the use of many different meshes.
  • I've added ground-level fog, which is actually a fog sheet that I have borrowed from a UE4 content example map.
  • I've also used the fog sheet to create a Northern Lights effect in the sky above the level. I achieved this by taking the fog sheet, stretching it out and altering the colour and settings. I think this really adds a sense of intrigue to the environment.
  • Finally, I've added a water plane to act as the stream that runs through part of the level. This is from the free water plane content that is available on the UE4 "learn" asset bank.
Perhaps the most exciting development is that I've started using zBrush and Substance Painter - two very important, industry standard pieces of software that will be highly beneficial to my workflow. It's still early days yet and I'm very much still a beginner. I used zBrush and Substance Painter to create the cliff-face asset in the scene. I have to give a huge thanks to my course-mate, Kamil Sroka, for helping me out with this, and inspiring me to start learning the software (check out his blog here).





No comments:

Post a Comment