Wednesday 1 March 2017

Stone Circle Scene Progress - March 1st

I've made more progress on my Stone Circle scene, including adding hand-painted tileable terrain textures, with normal, roughness and specular maps. I've also done some work on the particle effects to get the fire looking how I want it to look, and I've learned a bit about particles in the process. I got some feedback from Jim today on the scene and he seems to approve of how its going so far! Here's some pictures...

Firstly, here's the diffuse and normal maps for the tileable textures. I checked out a few hand-painted texture tutorials to help me with these and picked up some new Photoshop skills, which is always handy! I used the nDo plugin to generate normal maps from the diffuses. I've also done roughness and specular maps for each material.


And here's the current scene itself. It's very dark right now as I've been playing with the idea of having a dark environment to add a sense of danger and uncertainty to the exploration. I've altered the UE4 first-person character so that the character holds a torch complete with light and particle effects instead of a gun. My theory is that the darker the scene is overall, the more impact the torches scattered around the level will have. A dark scene will also give more opportunities to use object silhouettes for dramatic effect.






As it stands right now, I'm just steadily getting together all of the art/visual assets that I need. In the next few days I will be doing a bunch of trees, foliage, rocks and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment