Sunday 29 January 2017

Learning UE4 Sequencer - Milecastle Video

This week, I have used the Sequencer feature in UE4 to create a camera fly-through video of my Roman Milecastle environment. The Sequencer is a tool that replaces the now-obsolete Matinee feature from earlier versions of the engine, and allows you to set up camera sweeps, events, movements etc. within an environment. I decided to give it a go after sitting in on a Sequencer tutorial that the undergrad students were having.

The video is just under 3 minutes long and has camera sweeps of the interior and exterior of the environment from a variety of angles. I also used Sequencer to make the doors open as the camera approached them in the video. It was a bit of a tricky feature to get the hang of initially, but now I have a decent grasp of it and I've started to think of other ways that I could use it in the future.

I also created a short piece of music for the video, which is something I wanted to do for the original submission, but didn't have time. I researched Ancient Roman music and instruments, and also took inspiration from game soundtracks such as Age of Empires II when creating the music.


No comments:

Post a Comment