Monday 24 July 2017

Sci-fi Garage Update - July 24th

Time for another Sci-fi garage update! Over the last few weeks since my last update, I've been working on the final touches on the all-important APC model, and I have now started on the textures in Substance Painter. The APC is now starting to reach a point where its nearly completed. The final APC model is made up of 10 different elements, each with their own UV maps which will have mostly 2K textures except for the outer body and interior which are going to have 4K textures for maximum visual quality. The total poly count is about 27,000. The APC is the central focal point of the garage environment, so by making lots of separate elements, using high-res textures and a relatively high poly count, it will hopefully look as high-quality as possible.

I'm going for a "guerrilla warfare" kind of vibe to the model, with colourful paint splatters, flags and signs of wear and combat. I'm also probably going to add some graphics and graffiti-style markings. These details will allow me to create a subtle narrative to the vehicle and the world in which it exists. I'm also using emissive textures for a lot of stuff. This model is probably my most ambitous one yet, and it has taken a long time to create due to the level of detail and quality that I am trying to achieve.

The APC model is now nearing completion and soon I'll be able to get to work on the things that I still need to for this environment - specifically, props, particle effects, post-processing work, cinematics and presentation video and so on. The APC has taken a bit longer than expected, but I'm confident that I can create the rest of the scene quickly enough to get it finished to a high standard come October.

I've also edited some of the lighting and post-processing settings in the scene and started to add particle effects. Here's how its all looking now.











1 comment:

  1. Looks great, I would say that if you want to increase the looks of the APC you could add more detail items that are on real ones. https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1S3wyGVXXXXaKapXXq6xXFXXX2/Trumpeter-model-01595-1-35-Russian-BTR-80A-APC.jpg
    A lot of real ones have stuff all over them and very little unused space.

    ReplyDelete