Tuesday 1 August 2017

Sci-fi Garage Update - August 1st

Time for another sci-fi garage update! I've made a fair bit of progress since my last update, here's a list of what I've been up to:

  • Created a final model and texture for the building's structural supports. I added emmisive textures and a black-and-yellow warning stripe pattern to the support, and gave it an angular shape to give it a sci-fi feel.
  • I've also created a window piece for the windows in the ceiling. It's a pretty simple window with 4 panes but I think its pretty effective. It casts a stereotypical cross shadow onto the ground which I think helps add familiarity and believability to the scene.
  • I've created two more simple props for the scene: a barrel and a crate. These have futuristic, angular geometry. At the moment the just have placeholder textures, but I plan to texture them soon. I'll going to add subtle emmisive textures to small areas of the models to achieve a sci-fi look.
  • Done more lighting work, including adding the appropriate lighting for the emmisive textures on the support beams and editing lighting to make the windows look right, e.g putting a point light near the window piece to give the impression of outside lighting subtly bleeding in.
  • I've also added point lights to the ceiling which are placeholders for when I model and import some sci-fi strip lights.
  • Finally, I've also changed the colour of the lighting a bit, from yellow to a subtle blue. This also applies to the APC's headlights to give them a blue-ish look like modern-day xenon lights.

Here's some pictures of how the scene looks now.










My next moves are to texture the crate and barrel and continue to make props. I also need to keep making continual changes to the lighting to I can get it looking as good as possible. I've got a couple of issues I need to sort (such as the spotlights on the APC headlights not appearing to work) so I'll be working on that too. Watch this space for more regular updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment