Wednesday 30 August 2017

Sci-fi Garage Update - August 30th

I've done a quite a bit of work since my last sci-fi garage update. A lot of what I have done has been in response to feedback that I have recieved from a number of sources. I've smoothed out the hard edges on the modular pieces by increasing the polycount. I've made a few more props including a sheet for the floor, 3 different styles of paint can and a step-ladder. I've started to inject some narrative into the scene now. The idea is that the owners of the garage have been painting the APC using the paint and the ladder, with the sheet on the floor to catch any stray paint.

I've also created a few decals including oil spills and paint spills for the floor, and two different decals for the wall that read "HANGAR 13". Hangar 13 is the name of the area and the project. I chose the number 13 simply because it is the classic "mysterious" number and has a lot of superstition applied to it. I had been struggling to stay motivated with this project recently, due in part to feeling a lack of connection with it, but now that I have a name for the scene besides just "the garage", I feel more invested in it and its backstory.

Other changes include moving the strips lights down to the slanted walls instead of their original position near the ceiling. When I moved the lights, I instantly preferred them in their new position. I think that it helps to focus the eye on the lower portion of the room, which makes the overall composition less distracting. It also helps to create a clear division between the upper area of the room, which is lit naturally in warm orange, and the lower area which is lit with flourescent, blue-tinted lights. I've modelled a wire mesh fence piece that I have placed around the garage as dividers and storage areas. I've added an orange emissive glow to the window pieces in the ceiling to enhance the effect of the light streaming in from outside. Finally, I've done more work on the post-processing, particles and atmopsheric effects to try and get a nice overall visual style, and I think I've nearly found just the right balance.

I still need to create more decals (such as posters, grunge textures etc) and lots more props (tools, tool chests, computers, mechanic equipment). Then I need to make the presentation video and accompanying music. I feel like I'm slowly approaching the final stages of this project - just need to keep the work going!











No comments:

Post a Comment